Re: [pc110] Free PC110 parts, FS docking station

Jerod E. Tufte (jet nospam at jolt.com)
Sun, 1 Jun 1997 15:56:00 -0400

Date: Fri, May 30, 1997 at 09:18:51AM +0100
Quoting Alan Cox (alan nospam at diamondage.cymru.net):
> > it would normally be. The main problem with the keyboard is not the
> > layout but that it is so small---there is no hope of touch-typing on it
> > and I usually end up just using my index fingers. On the plus side, the
>
> Beg to differ. I can touch type quite happily on mine. Having said that
> I've been able to touch type on a PSION organiser too. Its certainly
> less than ideal for some symbols but it is also (handily) sufficiently
> different I don't get problems switching between the two
I used a 3a before the 110, and I can't touch type on either. do you
have really small fingers? My hands are pretty small, but my fingers
aren't skinny enough to dream of touch typing on the 110. I could sort
of use three fingers on each hand with the 3a.

> I've been looking hard at the twiddler chord keyboards, but they seem to
> need to draw power from a serial port too
>
> Alan
I've got one that I've never really gotten around to using enough to get
good at it. It needs to plug into the keyboard port to get power, but I
rigged up a battery pack with 4 AA batteries because my previous
portable (a Thinkpad 500) didn't have a keyboard port. (works for the
quickcam too) I don't have the keyboard cable for use directly with the
110, so I use the ps2 keyboard port on the replicator to get power from.
I tried it briefly to see how it works, and it does, but I need to spend
a little more time at it to get good. I always intended to use it for
in-vehicle use. I like to run mapping programs with my GPS, but
both the twiddler and the GPS want the serial port. I guess I'll have
to get a PCMCIA serial card or a DB9 - IRDA convertor or something.
Any thoughts on how hard it would be to fake a serial port with the
parallel port?

--
Jerod E. Tufte             Who is John Galt?                 G60 Corrado
(216)229-5252               http://jolt.com/       PGP OK   jet nospam at jolt.com