Re: [pc110] Compact flash problems

Tomas Olaj (tomaso nospam at mimer.sleipner.hiof.no)
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 17:48:06 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 9 Oct 1999, Alan Cox wrote to Mr. Olaj this e-mail message:

> > The kernel (in a RedHat install modus) detect the following cards:
> >
> > hda as the internal 4 MB flash
> > hdb IS NOT DETECTED, WHY??????????????? It complains about a interrupt
> > request or something and hangs ...
> > hdc is detected nicely.
> >
> > Is it possibly to intall Linux, networking support, emacs, X and a browse=
> > on 160 MB with flash?
>
> The PC110 doesn't appear to handle having both a 2nd flash card and a pcmcia
> drive at the same time, unless you boot off the flash then add the other hd
> as a pcmcia device
>
> Alan

Hi Alan,

Ok. What´s actually happends is that when I boot up the darnest thing with
RH6.0 it complains about the CF Flash, SDCFB 80, ATA Disk Drive, like this

Partition Check:
hdb:hdb: irq timeout status=0xff {busy}
hdb drive not ready for command

I haven´t done much lately except experienting a bit since I got the tip
from You (many thanks for that), and I apologize if this question has been
asked before, I was in a rush, and emailed, before I knew there was an
archive of this mailinglist.

Some questions about installing from a RH Linux 6.1 on a PC110:
1) When I boot up the PCMCIA boot-disk from the 6.1 distribution I´ll
first of all get the mentioned error-messages, and after that it askes
me for a Drivers Diskette. What ?!? Will the PC110 handle the
new installation program from Redhat?

Hmm.. The whole point of this is to install an OS on a laptop that doesn´t
make any noices like a Harddrive does. (I have a 250 MB hardrive too, but
there´s Windows 95. I want a quit computer with a minimal Linux system! :)

Thinking of Linux on a 3Com Palm ?

btw. Alan, have a look at
<http://oflug.linux.no/ukuug99conf/ukuug99conf.html>, I hope You are not
mad if You some pictures of You there. :)

Tomas Olaj, e-mail: <tomas.olaj nospam at hiof.no>
Computer Engineer - Østfold College, School of Computer Sciences
Os Allee 11, N-1757 HALDEN, Phone: +4769215361, Fax: +4769215302