Re: [pc110] Windows CE on PC110 ?

Dan Ridenhour (driden nospam at stlnet.com)
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 15:13:05 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Day <toasty nospam at home.dragondata.com>
To: Pres Waterman <pres nospam at 112motors.com>
Cc: pc110 nospam at swan.ml.org <pc110 nospam at swan.ml.org>; PC110 nospam at the-gadgeteer.com
<PC110 nospam at the-gadgeteer.com>; jgom nospam at bigfoot.com <jgom nospam at bigfoot.com>
Date: Friday, December 11, 1998 3:25 PM
Subject: Re: [pc110] Windows CE on PC110 ?

>> > Yes, I agree WIN-CE is inferior to 95/LINUX, etc....
>> > But I too have pondered the possibility of installing WIN-CE on my
PC110.
>> > Particularly beacuse it's simply a basic/lightweight OS which should
zoom
>> > on a 20MB 486... sorta like a WIN95 "Lite" maybe??
>> > It would do the basics and prolly leave a lot of room for other
stuff...

>> Funny, I asked the same thing of a friend. He is of the opinion that
WinCE
>> is not a "D"OS- but rather ROM-based, and not siutable for x86
processors.

>> Pres Waterman N2PW
>> c/o Patchogue Motors, Inc.
>> Ford and Kia dealer
>>
>> "Who needs a big JOHNSON
>> when ya got a little FLUTIE?"
>> GO BILLS!
>>

>There currently is no x86 version of Windows CE available, and Microsoft
>isn't really rushing to do one, so at the moment none of this is possible
>anyway.

Actually this isnt the case. M$ has an x86 WinCe in the works, and is
supposedly
running in house. M$ really wanted to avoid it, but they also really want
to get
into the embedded system market and alot of the embedded system folks wanted
an x86 version. Now will we see an x86 based consumer product? probably
not.

Dan
driden nospam at stlnet.com