Re: [pc110] Linux, PC110 & Compact Flash

Fringe Ryder (fringe nospam at fringeweb.com)
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 16:06:07 -0400

Forgive me if this has already been answered. I picked up my email this
morning in my hotel room, on my PC110, and am reading/responding to it
this afternoon on an airplane. Gotta love this palmtop!

Anyhow, there are a few details for Linux, depending on your kernel
version. One is that LILOI has to boot off the first controller. The way
around that is to load linux using loadlin, booting into DOS from the
internal 4MB partition first.

The other issue is that oldeer kernels sdo not allow two flash disks. I
found this out the hard way under 2.0.029. It took me a while to determine
why the 4MB partition showed, but not the CF. The offending file is io.c
(from memory), but I believe this is not a problem on current kernels.

BTW, anybody have any idea how much space is needed for a current linux
kernel/lib system, including X and some apps? Would it fit onm a 48MB
CF? Mine is currently on a 240MB pcmcia drive.