Re: [pc110] NEW LINUX INSTALL ON 20MB PC110

Eric Fixler (fix nospam at outerband.org)
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 13:26:40 -0800

Well, if it makes you feel any better, that's the exact same thing that
mine does, except it prints 04040404, etc...

I'd love to solve it too -- it the meantime, you can boot to Linux by
making a boot kernel disk in the setup program (it helps if you did your
installation using the net.i kernel so that you'll have support for your
enet device) and booting from it when you want to boot to Linux.

eric

>Ok folks....
>
>Still trying to get LINUX to run on my PC110 with minimal Space...
>Now my problem is System commander wont boot LINUX..
>
>I am doing just a base LINUX linux install from my BackPack Parallel Port
>CD-ROM...
>It installs fine, using only 29MB of my 100available & I only give a 5MB
>Swap Partition (stupid?) since I have a 20MB PC110...
>I have just the JDOS that comes with the pC110 installed on the 4MB
>ROM...(hda1).
>On the Type III 260MB HDD I have win95/DOS on the 1st 148MB
>partition...(hdc1).
>So my Swap file is hdc2, and my Filesystem is on hdc3...
>
>I have tried installing LILO to the MBR & it doesnt work, it puts it on
>hda1 & when I boot up without my PC TYPE III drive in, it gives me a bunch
>of scrolling 010101010101010101's.... No good, plus that is not how I
>wanted it...
>Like on my laptop it works fine, but I think with all these drives it is
>throwing LILO or System Commader off somehow...
>If I put LILO on First Partion of System (hdc3) it does the same crap ,
>01010101010101's across the screen at boot up & System Commander doesnt
>see it for some reason unless I force it a bootable option....
>And of course if I skip LILo altogether it just doesn;t work at all...
>HELP!!!!!!
>
>Where & how should I install LILO????
>I have never had problems with LINUX install untill now!
>
>Anybody! Help! Thank you!!!!
>

>jg nospam at thegrid.net
>

>*********** REPLY PARTITION ***********
>
>On 3/4/98, at 10:41 AM, Alan Cox wrote:
>
>>> I am using System Commander to select between OS's, so really, I do not
>>>even need LILO, but I don't know how to NOT install it...
>>> Am I making sense???
>>
>>LILO is still needed to boot the Linux partition but install it in the Linux
>>partition not th MBR
>>
>>> (Hell, if I could get a good PIM & find a way to administer my NT
>>>servers from X-windows, I would scrap 95 altogether)...
>>
>>Ok that would
>>
>>1. ical
>>2. VNC (tho VNC may not be enough) - http://www.orl.co.uk/vnc/

Eric Fixler v:1-415/826-8650