Re: [pc110] Trouble installing PCMCIA CDROM in WIN95

Adam M. Lambert (adam nospam at scl.cwru.edu)
Mon, 15 Dec 97 13:01:26 -0400

On Mon, 15 Dec 1997 18:00:24 +0000 (GMT), Alan Cox wrote:

>> not being set up for 32 bit mode. But if I use the PCMCIA wizard to switch
>> to 32 bit operation and cold start the PC110 then WIN95 hangs half way
>> through start up - probably because of a conflict with the PCMCIA harddisk.
>
>At boot time the PC110 hard disk is owned by the BIOS and sort of expects
>to stay owned by the bios (the APM shutdown dies horribly if someon else
>takes over the disk). That causes a minor Linux problem too, except that
>fortunately the Linux driver is clever enough to spot the fact the card is
>already initialised and take a hands off approach to that one slot.
>
>Does Lose95 have any kind of "exclude this slot" option in its PCMCIA config

this will probably not be of use to many people, but on the off chance it
is, OS/2's Warp's PCMCIA drivers have a similiar option, -b I think,
that says that this device is a boot device, and to therefore leave it
alone during initialization.

Not that this helps you particularly, but it may help someone else.

-adam
-adam